Small and independent presses are real treasure troves for great stories that you won’t necessarily see splashed across ad banners and subway stations but they. are. so. good. As much as I love seeing lists like this one pop up, there are so many indie titles that I would have LOVED to discuss with my friends over guacamole and wine (and, in some cases, probably would have helped me cope with my feeling afterwards)! So I’ve decided to make up my own lists, starting today, to spread the book club love around, even though my “book club” is basically just me reading with my cat in the room. (thanks for the inspo Buzzfeed!)
Full disclosure! Some of the books I pick will be from the company I work for, BUT were published before I got here, so I’m calling it a fair loophole.
In Da Club (Part I)
- Wet, Hot, and Shaking: How I Learned to Talk About Sex by Kaleigh Trace (Invisible Publishing)
Who doesn’t want to talk about sex? But, like, in a funny, positive, honest way with no “grey” in sight.
- Fifteen Dogs by Andre Alexis (Coach House Books)
If you’ve ever owned and/or loved a pet, this is a must-read.
- Every Little Thing by Chad Pelley (Breakwater Books)
Prepare to yell “What the hell happened to Cohen??” over and over in this love story + mystery.
- Matadora by Elizabeth Ruth (Cormorant Books)
Dive into the Spanish Civil War alongside a killer young heroine you can really root for.
- Enter, Night by Michael Rowe (Chizine Publications)
If you’re going to read a vampire book, make it a really good vampire book!
- Infidelity by Stacey May Fowles (ECW Press)
Cheaters are supposed to be bad people, right? Not exactly. Let’s discuss!
- The Indifference League by Richard Scarsbrook (Dundurn)
Light, fun, and truly super.
- Where Did You Sleep Last Night by Lynn Crosbie (House of Anansi)
Read this and then tell me you don’t want to devour this book right now.